history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
 [?]
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography

structures


Name:  Vess Soda Bottle
Address:  520 O'Fallon St.
Year:  1953
Property Type Codes:  Other
Dimensions:  35 1/2´ x 6´7"
Alterations:  Moved to new location in 1989.
Designation: City Landmark
History:
A giant replica of a family-size Vess Soda Bottle, it was erected at Hampton Av. and Gravois Blvd. in South St. Louis. It was constructed by Treesh Neon Sign Company, East St. Louis, Illinois for the Vess Bottling Company of St. Louis. The bottle revolves on a steel pole. In 1953, it was believed to be the largest, revolving, lighted bottle in the world. At night it was lit by more than 600 lineal feet of neon tubing.

In 1989, after the bottle had been found in storage, it was re-erected at 520 O´Fallon. It is mounted on a pole similar to the original, but no longer rotates (From Vess Soda Bottle Landmark file in the Cultural Resources Office).



Vess Soda Bottle

 

 

peoplestructureseventssourceshome
about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.


Version 1.0