Name: Laclede Gas and Light Company Building, Former
Address: 1017 Olive
Architectural Firm/Architect: Mauran, Russell, Crowell
Standard Architectural Styles: Classic Revival
Front facade: Brick, common bond
Property Type Codes: Commercial building, business district
Alterations: Rehabilitated in 1984 as the LGL Center.
Designation: National Register of Historic Places
The Laclede Gas and Light Company was incorporated in 1857 by New York investors. Local business man and politician Erastus Wells and associates later gained control of the company. Laclede Gas and Light remained in this building until 1970, when their new office tower was completed.
"The Old Laclede Gas and Light Company Building, 1017 Olive Street, St. Louis, Missouri, is architecturally significant as a largely unaltered early 20th century skyscraper, particularly noteworthy from its commanding and graceful design achieved through subtle contrasts of colors ad simply-stated classical and Renaissance forms. Inasmuch as the building presents thorough going testimony concerning the architectural classicism, it yields important information concerning academicism in American architecture. The powerful treatment of the building´s base and attic with Renaissance-inspired and classicizing features concisely illustrates the academics´ use of historically-derived features in an inventive, yet disciplined manner to achieve original designs that build upon, rather than replicate, historical precedent." [From the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places as prepared by Jill Johnson, architectural historian, Historic Preservation Program, MO Department of Natural Resources, August, 1980.]
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and