history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
 [?]
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography

structures


Name:  Kingsbury Place and Washington Terrace Hist. Dist.
Designation: City Landmark
History:
Kingsbury Place and Washington Terrace together form one of the smallest of St. Louis´ historic districts. The area that is now in the historic district was, before 1890, part of what was called the Deaver Tract and part of the old Kingsbury family estate. In the early 1890´s, the Bell Place Realty Company had the land surveyed by Julius Pitzman, the City surveyor. Kingsbury Terrace and Washington Terrace (originally called Bell Place) were all conceived as private places with deed restrictions designed to insure that they would remain gracious avenues, limited to single family residences. Among the members of this original trusteeship, set up in 1902 were the Bell Realty Company, Elizabeth W. Stith, E. M. Niederlander, C. Young and Sons Plant and Seed Company, Alice K. Humphrey, Maragaret E. and Sarah P. Simmons, Benjamin F. Edwards, John W. Harrison, Lester M. Hall, and Lewis Bierman. The Bell Place Realty Company consisted of Charles A. Young, Allister K. Stewart, and George H. Augustine Julius Pitzman, in laying out the property left wide tree lined medians forming a parkway on each of the streets. This open space together with the accompanying deed restrictions served to preserve the streets´ historic character. The urban streets were closed to thru traffic and restricted to single family dwellings.

The entry to Washington Terrace features a French Norman Clock Tower built in 1894 by architect George R. Mann, and designed by Harvey Ellis. The main entrance to Kingsbury was constructed in 1908 with Beaux Arts gates and fountains designed by Thomas O. Barnett. Styles of architecture in the Kingsbury-Washington Terrace Historic District include Italian Renaissance, Tudor, Georgian and others. Today Kingsbury Place, Kingsbury Terrace, and Washington Terrace are outstanding examples of early 20th century upperclass living in the heart of the City. It became a Local Historic District in 1973.




People
Augustine, George H.
Barnett, George Dennis
Bell Realty Company,
Bierman, Lewis
Edwards, Benjamin F.
Ellis, Harvey
Hall, Lester M.
Harrison, John W.
Humphrey, Alicw K.
Niderelander, E. M.
Pitzman, Julius
Simmons, Margaret E.
Simmons, Sarah P.
Stewart, James
Stewart, Allister K.
Stith, Elizabeth W.


Kingsbury Place and Washington Terrace
Kingsbury Place and Washington Terrace Hist. Dist.

 

 

peoplestructureseventssourceshome
about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.


Version 1.0