history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography

structures


Name:  Centenary Methodist Church
Address:  55 Plaza Square
Year:  1868
Architectural Firm/Architect:   T. Dixon, J. Legg
Standard Architectural Styles:  Gothic Revival
Religious Group:  Methodist
Front facade:  Stone, ashlar
Property Type Codes:  Church
Designation: City Landmark, National Register of Historic Places,
Ward:  7
Neighborhood:  36
History:
Centenary Methodist Church was organized in 1839, during the 100th anniversary of John Wesley┬┤s founding of Methodism, hence its name. The architect for the structure was Thomas Dixon of Baltimore, in association with Jerome B. Legg of St. Louis. Stone for the church was quarried in North St. Louis.

Centenary Methodist Church, St. John the Apostle and Evangelist Church, and the Campbell House are the only three remaining buildings from the once very fashionable Lucas Place. It was the exclusivity of this area that attracted the parish of Centenary, which had been located at Fifth and Pine Streets since 1839. Moving that far west was seen as a gamble, but the area was rapidly becoming the most desirable residential area of the City. Two churches -- St. John the Apostle and Evangelist and Christ Church -- had vital and growing congregations, and the risk was taken.

Centenary is the second oldest Methodist church in the City. It is the seat of the Eastern Missouri Diocese. Due to this position, its congregation has always come from all parts of the metropolitan area. This no doubt played a decisive role in the decision to remain downtown and act as a city missionary church when a move was proposed in the early twentieth century.

In 1956, the parish began an intensive rehabilitation program, which cost about $250,000.




People
Dixon, Thomas


Reference
St. Louis: Historic Churches and Synagogues




Centenary Methodist Church
Centenary Methodist Church
Centenary Methodist Church
Centenary Methodist Church

 

 

peoplestructureseventssourceshome
about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.


Version 1.0