history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
 [?]
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography

structures


Name:  Statue of the Naked Truth
Address:  Compton Reservoir Park
Year:  1914
Sculptor:  William Wandschneider
Donor:   German-American Alliance
Property Type Codes:  Statue, Sculpture
Dimensions:   Pedestal, length 19ft.10
Designation: City Landmark
Ward:  8
Neighborhood:  26
History:
The statue was given as a monument to three great German newspaper editors of the St. Louis Westliche Post: Carl Schurz, Dr. Emil Preetorius, and Carl Danzier. Adolphus Busch was the major donor, giving $20,000 and initiating the design competition. All the entrees were from local sculptors except for Wandschneider, who was from Berlin. The nudity of the figure caused a great deal of controversary, but was executed according to the artist´s wishes.

The revealing statue is a natural choice for a symbol of truth. The torches symbolize the enlightenment of the German and American alliances.

It was moved in 1969 because it was in the way of the new interstate highway. Its new location is to the west of its original location and nearer to the water tower. The cost was carried by the St. Louis Water Division, maintainers of the Reservoir property.




People
Busch, Adolphus
Danzier, Carl
Preetorius, Dr. Emil
Schurz, Carl





Statue of the Naked Truth
Statue of the Naked Truth
Statue of the Naked Truth
Statue of the Naked Truth
Statue of the Naked Truth

 

 

peoplestructureseventssourceshome
about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.


Version 1.0