Name: Daggett, John D.
Category: Politics and Government (Number 5)
Term as Mayor: 1841-1842
Born/Started: Oct. 04, 1793
Died/Ended: May. 10, 1874
Description: John Daggett was the fifth mayor of St. Louis, from 1841 to1842. During Mayor Daggett´s administration, an Engineering Department was created. This department was comprised of the city engineer, street commissioner, and the superintendent of the waterworks. The office of City Counselor also dates from this time. This office was created to draft the City´s contracts needed by the council and the mayor and handle all suits involving the City. The harbor improvement work of the previous administration was also continued. The City ownership of Soulard Market under the terms of the will of Julia C. Soulard that required it be used exclusively for market purposes. The first market building was erected there in 1848.
Mayor Daggett was born in Attleboro, MA. He became a machinist apprentice shortly after his 13th birthday. He followed this trade during the War of 1812, when he made musket locks for the army. Then he started west, working as a locksmith and salesman. He arrived in St. Louis in 1817 and went into retail merchandising. He married Miss Sarah Sparks in 1821 and they raised a large family of twelve children.
Mr. Daggett was elected to the Board of Aldermen in 1827 during the administration of Dr. William Carr Lane. In 1830 he purchased an interest in the steamer "St. Louis" and continued in the steamboat business for many years. In 1838 he became street commissioner, and in 1841, he was elected mayor as a candidate of the Whig party.
Mr. Daggett was one of the founders of the Gas Light Company in 1839 and became its president in 1842. From 1846 to 1848 he was secretary of the Board of Public Schools. He was successful in most of his commercial ventures until late in life. In 1849 he became manager of the Sectional Dock Company and continued in this capacity until his death on May 10 1874. Burial was in Bellefontaine Cemetery.
in the Same Profession(s)
site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and