history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography
History Research Centers

The following libraries and archives are excellent sources of material on St. Louis buildings and history.

LOCAL

A.G. Edwards, Inc.

The A.G. Edwards collections are open to bonafide researchers by appointment only. Some materials may be loaned for exhibition purposes. The collections consists of engravings, lithographs, and photographs. Specifically, the department houses images of the city including architectural rendering, (1850-1983), Civil War in Missouri (1861-1865), Westward Expansion (1845-1900), steamboats and life on the Mississippi River (1845-1900), and Wall Street and New York Stock Exchange (1850-1900). The archives also offer maps dating back to 1720, posters, and political cartoons. The A.G. Edwards, Inc. is located at 1 N. Jefferson Ave., St. Louis, MO 63103. The phone number is 955-5814. The library does not have a homepage for archival research purposes.

Campbell House Museum

This Museum specifically supports internal research; materials are not available for circulation. The Campbell House serves patrons interested in the history of St. Louis from 1840-1900, especially the Campbell family. Records available contain information relating to St. Louis, the West, Philadelphia, and County Tyrone, Ireland as well as personal correspondences between Campbell and his family in Ireland. The collection also consists of photographs of St. Louis and Europe between 1870 and 1910. The Campbell House Museum is located at 1508 Locust Street, St. Louis, MO 63103. The phone number is 421-0325.
Website: http://www.stlouis.missouri.org/chm

Jefferson National Expansion Memorial

The Jefferson National Expansion Memorial offers records regarding the establishment and development of the National Expansion Memorial. Materials cover the process of land acquisition, demolition , construction of the St. Louis riverfront and material on the Gateway Arch and the Old Courthouse. The Archives also contain material including manuscript materials covering the exploration of the American West and the story of Lewis and Clark. The holdings comprise approximately 45 collections. The Jefferson National Expansion is located at the Old Courthouse, 2nd Floor on 11th N. Fourth St., St. Louis, MO 63102. The phone number is 655-1600.
Website: http://www.nps.gov/jeff/index.htm

Landmarks Association of St. Louis

Landmarks is one of the oldest and largest not-for-profit organization in Missouri. Incorporated in 1959, its mission is to preserve, enhance, and promote St. Louis' architectural heritage and to encourage sound planning and good contemporary design. With over 1100 members, an active board of directors, and a paid executive director, Landmarks is the primary advocate for the historic built environment of St. Louis.Landmarks is located at 917 Locust , 7th Floor, St. Louis, MO 63101 The phone number 314 /421-6474.
Website: http://stlouis.missouri.org/landmarks

Midwest Jesuit Archives

The Midwest Jesuit Archives contains information about the history of the Province Jesuits. The Archives holds information relating to Midwest Province Jesuits, personal papers of Fr. DeSmet and other deceased Midwest Province Jesuits, records of Jesuit programs and conferences, as well as inactive business records, letters from Father General in Rome, and photos of midwestern Jesuits. The Archives are open to the public through appointment, but materials do not circulate. The Midwest Jesuit Archives is locate at 4511 W. Pine Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63108. The phone number is 361-5122.
Website: http://www.jesuits-mis.org

The Mercantile Library

The Mercantile Library has been in continuous operation since 1846. The oldest library west of the Mississippi, it has been collecting material since its opening, and has a great deal of information about the history of the City. The Library has numerous books written about St. Louis and its buildings, dating from the 19th century. Further, it has an extensive collection of visual material, including photographs, maps and prints. Of these the most thorough is the St. Louis Globe-Democrat photograph collection - with more than 200,000 photographs from 1920's through the 1980's. Many of these images document the process of demolition, reconstruction and rehabilitation in St. Louis. The Mercantile Library is located at 8001 Natural Bridge Rd., St. Louis, MO 63121. The phone number is 516-7247.
Website: http://www.umsl.edu/mercantile/

Missouri Historical Society

The Missouri Historical Society Research Center contains much information in both primary and secondary sources. The information file lists newspaper articles (usually found in bound volumes by subject category) and similar information. The main catalogue lists journals, scrapbooks, published books and government documents. There are maps, atlases, and sheet music. The manuscript collection contains diaries, correspondence, meeting records and rosters of local organizations. There are also special photographic collections, most notably the Block collection, and a small, but growing, collection of architectural drawings. The Missouri Historical Society Library and Archive is located in the old United Hebrew Temple. The address is 225 S. Skinker, St. Louis, MO 63105. The phone number is 746-4527.
Website: http://www.mohistory.org

The Planning and Urban Development Agency

The Planning and Urban Design Agency library is small, in comparison with the other institutions listed. However, the library has a great deal of material about the City's planning and development efforts in the pre and post World War II era. There are numerous studies and plans made by the Community Development Agency (CDA), the St. Louis Development Corporation (SLDC) and the Planning and Urban Design Agency (PDA) or their predecesors. PDA is located at 1015 Locust Street. The phone number is 622-3400.
Website http://stlouis.missouri.org/citygov/planning/

St. Louis Center for Holocaust Studies

The St. Louis Center for Holocaust Studies contains collections concerning every aspect of the Holocaust. The center offers services in the fields of audio visual materials, educational programs, museum exhibits, speaker's bureau, and consultant services. The material available ranges on topics from history and biographies to moral/ethical issues and anti-Semitism. The Holocaust Center contains a 200 plus item collection of oral histories on audio and visual tapes regarding descriptions about the effects of the Holocaust. The St. Louis Center for Holocaust Studies is located at 12 Millstone Campus Drive, St. Louis, MO 63141. The phone is 432-0020 ext. 722.
Website: http://www.hmlc.org

St. Louis Public Library

The St. Louis Public Library is open to the public for general reference use. The Rare Books & Special Collections house material associated with St. Louis history and culture. The St. Louis Public Library Archives include institutional records and publications, photographs, ephemera, and other materials. The St. Louis Media Archives houses media-related materials in the form of journalism, broadcasting, advertising, and public relations. Along with these media-related materials the Media Archives contain printed and manuscript material, photos, radio and television programming, oral histories, memorabilia, and promotional materials. The public library also contains a Genealogy section. The St. Louis Public Library (Rare Books & Special Collections) is located at 1301 Olive Street, St. Louis, MO 63103. The phone number is 241-2288 ext. 381.
Website: http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us

Saint Louis University Library

The St. Louis University Library contains many books relating to the history of St. Louis. These works are divided between the reference collection, and the Archive, which is located in the St. Louis Room. Many books on the development of St. Louis written during the 19th and early 20th centuries. The Archive also has collections relating to university buildings of the former downtown campus; the current Frost Campus in Midtown; and the medical campus on Caroline Street. Particularly interesting are photographic collections, showing both Midtown and the Mill Creek Valley district from the end of World War II until the present day. The St. Louis Room is located in the Pius VII Memorial Library on the Frost Campus, at the corner of Grand Avenue and Lindell Boulevard. 3650 Lindell Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63108. The phone number is 977-3087.
Website: http://www.slu.edu

University of Missouri - St. Louis

The library at the University of Missouri - St. Louis contains the Mercantile Library and the Western Reserve Manuscript Collection for the St. Louis area. There are collections at four state college campuses: Columbia (the oldest), Rolla, Kansas City, and St. Louis. The collection has material relating to the history of St. Louis and the surrounding area and a number of photographic sources about the St. Louis history; records relating to businesses like the Messing Iron Company (which manufactured architectural cast iron); and material from civic leaders about environmental issues in St. Louis in the post ~ World War II era. The Western Reserve Collection, at University of Missouri at St. Louis, is located in the Thomas Jefferson Library, 8001 Natural Bridge Road, St. Louis, MO 63121. The phone number is 553-5143.
Website: http://www.umsl.edu/services/library/

Washington University Library

The Washington University Library has a large number of books and journals about national architectural history, as well as the social and cultural influences that surround the development of architecture and cities. Although it is not the most extensive resource for local history and information, there is a section of the library devoted to books written during the 19th and 20th centuries that give first-hand accounts of the history of St. Louis.

Material in the University archive about St. Louis buildings is limited. There are recorded concerning both Hilltop campus, and the University's original campus downtown. These materials are known as records of the 17th Street Rally Company, and are useful for information about real estate transactions beyond the original campus: until the middle 20th century, Washington University was one of the most active real estate investors in the city.

The University archive has some special collections that contain relevant material about St. Louis buildings. They hold a complete set of original drawings of the Eads Bridge, and collections of the papers of St. Louis Mayors, as well as those of Harland Bartholomew and Associates - Bartholomew was the Commissioner of the St. Louis Plan Commission during the 1920's and 1930's. The Washington University Art and Architecture Library is located along Forsyth Boulevard, just west of Skinker. The address is: One Brookings Drive, Campus Box 1061, Steingberg Hall, St. Louis, MO 63130. The phone number is 935-5268.
Website: http://library.wustl.edu/

NATIONAL

Advisory Council on Historic Preservation

The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (ACHP) is an independent Federal agency that promotes the preservation, enhancement and productive use of America's historic resources, as well as advising the President and Congress on national historic preservation policy. ACHP recommends administrative and legislative improvements for protecting our Nation's heritage; advocates for consideration of historic values in Federal policymaking; and reviews Federal programs and policies to promote effectiveness, coordination and consistency with national preservation policies. The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is located at 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 809, Old Post Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20004. The phone number is (202) 606-8503.
Website: http://www.achp.gov

The American Association for State and Local History

The American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) provides leadership and support for its members who preserve and interpret state and local history. AASLH provides services and assistance to over 5,000 institutions and individuals that work in the field of state and local history by offering technical and educational support. By conducting national research and developing public program materials, AASLH ensures the highest quality expressions of state and local history. The American Association for State and Local History is located at 1717 Church Street, Nashville, TN 37203. The phone number is (615) 320 3203.
Website: http://www.aaslh.org

American Historical Association

The largest historical society in the United States, The American Historical Association (AHA) serves as the umbrella organization for historians working in every period and geographical area. AHA was incorporated by Congress in 1889 for the promotion of historical documents and artifacts, and the dissemination of historical research. The American Historical Association is located at 400 A Street, SE, Washington, D.C. 20003. The number is (202) 544 2422.
Website: http://www.theaha.org

The Association for Preservation Technology International

The Association for Preservation Technology International (APT) is dedicated to promoting the best technology for conserving historic structures and their settings. APT offers student scholarships, access to a network of preservation practitioners, training conferences and a quarterly newsletter. The Association for Preservation Technology International is located at 4513 Lincoln Avenue, Suite 213, Lisle, IL 60532. The number is (630) 968 6400.
Website: http://www.apti.org

The National Building Museum

The National Building Museum is America's premier cultural institution dedicated to exploring and celebrating architecture, design, engineering, construction and urban planning. Its permanent collection documents changing architectural styles and construction techniques. The National Building Museum is located at 401 F Street, Washington, D.C. 20001. The number is (202) 272 2448.
Website: http://www.nbh.org

National Trust for Historic Preservation

The National Trust for Historic Preservation provides leadership, education and advocacy to save America's historic places and revitalize its communities. Its primary purpose is the acquisition and administration of historic sites and public outreach. The National Trust has a nationwide network of regional offices as well as a collection of 21 historic sites. The National Trust for Historic Preservation is located at 1785 Massachusetts Avenue, NW Washington, D.C. 20036. The number is (202) 588 6000.
Website: http://www.nationaltrust.org

Partners for Livable Communities

Partners for Livable Communities is a non-profit organization committed to improving community well-being through economic development, social equity and quality of life. Partners works with community development organizations, foundations and city governments every day to initiate changes designed to increase the livability of American communities. Partners for Livable Communities is located at 1429 21st Street, NW Washington, D.C. 200036. The number is (202) 887 5990.
Website: http://www.livable.com

Preservation Action

Preservation Action coordinates a network of community activists, preservation professionals, historians, commercial investors and civic leaders working together to advocate for our architectural heritage on Capital Hill. It monitors federal legislation as well as participates in policy development. Preservation Action is the only national 501 © (4) preservation lobby. Preservation Action is located at 1054 31st Street, NW, Suite 526, Washington, D.C. 20007. The number is (202) 298 6180.
Website: http://www.preservationaction.org

Project for Public Spaces

Project for Public Spaces is a nonprofit technical assistance, research and educational organization. Its mission is to create and sustain public places by helping people to grow their public space into community places. This process includes facilitating public forums, workshops, meetings and committees that give people an opportunity to identify issues, contribute ideas and make decisions about improvements that enhance the places where they live and work. Project for Public Spaces is located at 153 Waverly Place, 4th Floor, New York, NY, 10014.The number is (212) 620 5660.
Website: http://www.pps.org

State Historic Preservation Office

The Division of State Parks coordinates statewide programs in the areas of historic preservation and outdoor recreation. The division's Historic Preservation program administers federal funds to help identify and preserve historic properties throughout the state. It also makes state and federal grants available to cities, counties, and school districts to be used for outdoor recreation facilities and land acquisition designed for the general public. Grants are also available to trail organizations and local governments for trail construction and maintenance. The Office is at the Department of Natural Resources, P.O. Box 176 , Jefferson City, MO 65102. The phone is 800/334-6946

Society of Architectural Historians

The mission of the Society of Architectural Historians is to advance knowledge and understanding of the history of architecture, design, landscape and urbanism worldwide. Its main activities include sponsoring scholarly research and forums; organizing study tours of significant buildings; providing publications that disseminate scholarly accomplishments and supporting the preservation of historic places and cultural heritage. The Society of Architectural Historians is located at 1365 North Astor Street, Chicago, IL 60610. The number is (312) 573 1365.
Website: http://www.sah.org

Architectural History and Historic Preservation Division

The Architectural History and Historic Preservation Division (AHHP) acts as a curator of the Smithsonian's diverse campus of buildings. AHHP's mission is to understand the Smithsonian buildings through preservation, research and education. Its activities include maintaining a collection of archival records related to the Institution's architectural history; preserving the Smithsonian's historic structures and managing the Smithsonian's collections. The Architectural History and Historic Preservation Division is located at Arts and Industries Building, Room 2263, 900 Jefferson Drive, SW Washington, D.C. 20560. The number is (202) 357 2064.
Website: http://www.si.edu/oahp/

 

 

peoplestructureseventssourceshome
about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.


Version 1.0